Ever thought of building a tiny home? Well, shipping container living is fast becoming a popular option for many Aussies who want to reduce their living expenses, but still maintain a quality lifestyle. There are many benefits to building your own container home, but one of the most important considerations are the windows. However, before we start talking about the windows in your new tiny home, let’s look at some of the benefits of container living first, just to make sure that you are making the right decision.
5 Benefits of shipping container living
- Home ownership: With the constant fluctuations in the real estate market and the reluctance of banks to lend money to borrowers, achieving the Aussie dream of owning your own home can be quite literally, unachievable. This is where tiny homes come into the picture, because they don’t require such a huge financial outlay and you have everything you need in a small compact space.
- Saves money: The cost of a tiny home is much lower than a more traditional home, so you can achieve home ownership at a much lower cost. In fact, the money you would normally save as a deposit on a home can often be the total cost of building a tiny house. This is one reason why shipping container living is so popular!
- Eco-friendly: Reusing a shipping container is a great way to help save the planet. Of course, it could be melted down and recycled, but melting steel requires a lot of energy, which is why it isn’t done very often, as it’s not economically viable. Most people who live in shipping containers however, support sustainable living, so they also use recycled materials to outfit their new living spaces, making their entire home eco-friendly!
- Fast build time: Often it only takes 8 weeks to have your new tiny house ready for occupancy, compared with up to 12 months for a traditional home. This can make a huge difference to your life, when you can very quickly have your own home that’s mortgage free and you’re not even paying rent. Think of the savings!
- Easy relocation: Some people say that if you want a home that moves on wheels, then you need a caravan, but there’s a big difference between a caravan and a tiny home! Whatever side of the fence you sit on, there’s no arguing that a shipping container home can be easily relocated, allowing you to pack up and move across the country, and take your new home with you.
Now you know the benefits of shipping container living, let’s talk about the windows, because you want as much light as possible in your tiny home. The more windows in your new home, the more light and cross ventilation you’ll experience, making your home comfortable throughout the year.
At AJ Plastics, we custom make windows for shipping container homes either in polycarbonate or acrylic material. However, we find that polycarbonate is the more popular material for shipping container homes, simply because it’s more lightweight, flexible and doesn’t break as easily as acrylic. We can design any size or shape window for your home, so that you can truly have the home of your dreams!
If you are ready to experience the joys of shipping container living, call us on 07 3262 2384 or send us an email today.